Old Idea, New Technology
Our Cottage designs are a combination of an old idea and new technology. We preserve the best of early 20th-century cottages – smaller footprints, with appealing porches and architectural details. And we specify the best of 21st-century building technology in the construction of our Cottages, offering off-the-shelf designs that work for our modern lifestyles.
So, our traditionally styled Cottages are comfortable, warm, and welcoming as a home should be. But they are also modular in design and use prefabricated panelized elements and durable modern building materials. This makes the build time shorter, and the end product energy-efficient, economical to own and operate, and sustainable in a number of ways.
What is unique about our Cottages?
Our list of time-proven systems and products includes:
- Superior Walls® insulated precast concrete foundations
- Thermocore™ structural insulated wall & roof panels (SIPs)
- Trus Joist engineered PSL/LVL posts and beams by Weyerhaeuser
- Simpson Strong-Tie structural framing connections
- HB&G Permacast structural fiberglass columns
- Warmboard® radiant heating system/subfloor
- Blueskin® self-adhering vapor permeable house wrap
- Benjamin Obdyke Slicker® rainscreen drainage mat
- Andersen® A-Series wood windows and doors with Fibrex exterior
- James Hardie® prefinished fiber cement siding & trim
- Boral® poly-ash special exterior trim
- Galvalume® metal roofing
- TruStile® interior and exterior doors
All of these are well-established companies, dedicated to providing quality, Green building systems and products. Each is supporting sustainability in a number of ways – by using recycled materials in their manufacture, by using fewer materials overall, and by making products that are durable, low maintenance, and recyclable. And we are supporting them for all of those reasons. We are striving for sustainable, environmentally conscientious home building, so you have a smart and responsible option for your new home.
Old Idea, New Technology, and ESG
The next step beyond Green building is multifaceted sustainability – Environmental, Social, and Governance – and introducing this new ESG rating technology for businesses. Many of the companies listed above are dedicated not only to reducing the carbon footprint of their manufacturing processes, but also to maintaining safe, inclusive workplaces, and giving back to their communities. With these smart and responsible business practices, they can achieve a positive ESG rating that can benefit them in the construction and finance worlds and also help build and maintain a talented and happy workforce. And so ultimately sustain their company to a long and profitable life. Smart, responsible, good business is also a very old idea, and ESG is new technology helping to support it.